Monday, May 28, 2018

Orecchiette Pasta Bari-style "alla Barese"

I'm back on my meal plan again.  I had stopped for a while because my life was really hectic and I wasn't finding enough time to cook but I have to take back control of my diet and my diabetes.  I am subscribed to the Diabetic Plan for control of blood sugar and to help with weight loss at https://www.soscuisine.com.  I showed this plan to the staff in the Diabetes clinic at our local hospital and they were very impressed.  And it really does work!  

This is tonight's supper and it was very tasty indeed.  I cheated a bit though.  I didn't want to buy anchovies just for this recipe so I thought . . . hmmmmm salty and briney . . . and diced up a couple of black olives.  I think it worked out great.


https://www.soscuisine.com/recipe/orecchiette-pasta-bari-style-alla-barese

Quantity : 4 servings
Preparation : 10 min Cooking : 15 min
420 calories/serving

Ingredients
5 cups broccoli, cut into florets 650 g
320 g orecchiette 3 cups
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil 38 mL
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
5 1/2 anchovy fillets, chopped 22 g
1 1/3 dried chili peppers, minced 0.4 g
12 mini-tomatoes (cherry, miniature or grape), cut in half 3/4 cup
4 tbsp Romano cheese, grated 12 g
1 pinch salt [optional] 0.2 g
ground pepper to taste [optional]

Before you start

Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.

Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.

Method

Prepare the broccoli: clean and cut off the florets. Peel off any though skin of the stalks and cut them into small pieces. Blanch and drain the broccoli, then set aside, but keep them warm.
To save time, the rest of the sauce preparation and pasta cooking can be done at the same time. Cook the pasta.
In the meantime, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Gently sauté the minced or pressed garlic 1-2 min, with stirring, until soft taking care not to let it burn. Chop the anchovies, then add them to the skillet with stirring. Cook 2 min until they have broken apart and "melted". Stir in the minced chili pepper then add the mini-tomatoes cut in half and the drained broccoli.
Pour the drained pasta into the pan and mix with the seasoned broccoli. Adjust the seasoning, add the grated romano(*), then serve in the warmed dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment