Monday, September 28, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) ~ m

A while back I took a "quiz" on Facebook to determine how many of the top 250 movies of all time. I had actually seen. I scored 100 out of the 250 movies that were listed. If I was unsure about seeing a movie I didn't check it off so my score could possibly be much higher.

And then I started thinking that perhaps instead of binge watching old TV series I should binge watch movies. I decided just to take on the top 100 movies for a starter. Now I'm very sure I am going to agree with quite a few of the entries on this list but I already know I'm going to argue about a few as well.

So here is #38 of the top 100 Movies of all time according to IMDB:

To Kill a Mockingbird(1962)

This is a great movie.  Gregory Peck did a fantastic job of portraying Atticus Finch, a southern lawyer, who is raising his children and trying to live an honourable life.  The movie begins sharing the idyllic life in the south of gentility and kindness.  When Atticus must defend an innocent black man who has been accused of raping a white woman, the lawyer and his family begin to feel the ugliness and hate that lay beneath the veneer of southern gentility. 

Based on a book by the same name, this movie does a decent job of representing the author's intent.  As my grandson commented, after reluctantly reading the book for school and then watching the movie with me, the book is better than the movie.  But that's pretty normal, isn't it?





Academy Awards, USA 1963

Won
Oscar
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Gregory Peck 
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium
Horton Foote
Horton Foote was not present at the awards ceremony. Alan J. Pakula, the film's producer, accepted ... More
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White
Alexander Golitzen
Henry Bumstead
Oliver Emert 
Nominated
Oscar
Best Picture
Alan J. Pakula 
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Mary Badham 
Best Director
Robert Mulligan 
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White
Russell Harlan 
Best Music, Score - Substantially Original
Elmer Bernstein 

No comments:

Post a Comment