Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Book Review ~ Memoirs of a Geisha





I've read Memoirs of a Geisha several times in the past few years and really enjoy it.  I have no idea how "real" it is or if the author made up a lot of the things he wrote about becoming a geisha and about Japan at the time of the novel.  I did not read it for historical accuracy.  I read it for the first time because it was recommended to me by quite a few people.  I read it each time since just because it is a good read.

Memoirs of a Geisha is the story of a little girl, sold off by her father, who is trained to be a geisha.  Her life is not luxurious but rather strenuous, difficult, sad and harsh.  Reading the back story and then reading glamourous paragraphs about her as a geisha are the two sides of her story.  

I have also watched the movie version and, while it is pretty good, did not come close to the depth of the book.  

Enjoy Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment