Thursday, August 10, 2023

Book Review: The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom


I did enjoy this book.

It was fairly well written . . . by a Canadian author.

I get it that the main theme of the book was the enslavement of all the women, no matter what their position -- the wife, the house slaves, the little indentured servant and the field slaves.

Some of it was a little weird and melodramatic.

I did come to love some of the characters, especially Mama Mae, Belle and Lavinia.  I think it was an interesting device to have the story told in two different voices and I appreciated the author's ability to show the same events through two very different sets of eyes.  I believe that is my favourite part of this novel.

So I don't give it a 10 . . . but it is definitely an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment