Monday, October 12, 2020

Goodreads 2020 ~ #122 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


Image result for memoirs of a geisha

I've read Memoirs of a Geisha (1997) by Arthur Golden several times in the past few years and really enjoy it.  I have no idea how "real" it is or if the author made up a lot of the things he wrote about becoming a geisha and about Japan at the time of the novel.  I did not read it for historical accuracy.  I read it for the first time because it was recommended to me by quite a few people.  I read it each time since just because it is a good read; quite a lyrical style in fact.

Memoirs of a Geisha is the story of a little girl, sold off by her father, who is trained to be a geisha.  Her life is not luxurious but rather strenuous, difficult, sad and harsh.  Reading the back story and then reading glamourous paragraphs about her as a geisha are the two sides of her story.  

The one time I read the book was for an informal book club I belonged to with several friends.  I was host of the month we discussed "Geisha".  As part of the refreshments I painted orange blossoms on little shot glasses and served sake.  The funny faces of some of my guests were photo worthy.  It also turned out that I like sake.  Who knew?

I have watched the movie version a couple of times and, while it is pretty good, it did not come close to the depth and beauty of the book.  

Enjoy Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment