Saturday, August 6, 2016

I am excited !!! about a new restaurant in town --- Rail City Bistro

It has been a very long time since I have been excited about a restaurant in town.  The last time I got excited was when Asuka Japanese opened.  And you all know how much I LOVE Asuka.  I don't want to make my favourite restaurant jealous BUT I have a crush on a new place in town . . . 

Rail City Bistro.




This little gem is located at 599 Talbot Street here in St. Thomas.  I saw a couple of different people posting photos on FB and was tempted . . . and then I saw their weekend special and I knew I had to try it out.  My mom, Grace and I made a date to go for lunch on Friday for the fish and chips special.  

I walked in and, although the restaurant is only sparsely decorated, it is clean and bright and comfortable.  The tables are set with black tablecloths and pretty centrepieces of greens and pussy willows.   

Our server was welcoming, friendly and very helpful.  In fact, she told Mom and Grace about the size of the fish & chips dinner and suggested they could split the dinner.  Turns out that was very good advice as the servings were very substantial.

But I digress . . . I spotted something on the menu that piqued my interest and, of course, I had to order it . . . Deep Friend Macaroni and Cheese Balls with Homemade Tomato Sauce!!!!  OMG but it was fun and cute and, most important, DELICIOUS!!!  Can you sense my excitement?  Grace didn't think she wanted one but I talked her into trying half of one.  She ended up taking the rest of her ball . . . LOL.



Entrees . . . Mom and Grace split an order of fish and chips.  The fish was perfectly cooked.  The tartar sauce was deliciously homemade.  I ordered the chicken saltimbocca panini and salad which is on the regular menu.  I always love a really good sandwich.  Homemade herb pesto (which I would have eaten with a spoon), mozzarella cheese, prosciutto, seasoned chicken breast, and sliced tomato all perfectly grilled in whole wheat bread.  Served with a salad dressed with perfectly homemade red wine vinaigrette.  My meal was perfect.  (I could only eat half the sandwich and brought it home.  Guess what?  Had it for lunch today and it was just as delicious cold.)




Dessert . . . you must order the panna cotta, a velvety baked Italian custard topped with raspberry compote and a crispy sugar tuile.  Mom was trying to figure out how to lick the bowl without being noticed . . . LOL.



Anyway . . . Friday evening rolls around and Hal and I are trying to decide what we want for supper.  Tim and Krystel come in and they are thinking about what to have for supper.  I started telling them about my new crush . . . and off we went.

Well, as you know, Hal hates everything.  He can be a most frustrating diner.  Well, Hal loved everything.  We started with an order of macaroni and cheese balls . . . of course.  Hal and Krystel ordered the chicken pot pie which came with a salad.  It was huge and hot and delicious.  Tim ordered the Asian stir fry which is a menu item and he was absolutely thrilled.  I ordered the fettucini Alfredo  (also a menu item) and was very pleased with it.  We were all stuffed but I was determined to try the sticky pudding so we ordered one and all had a taste.  Excellent texture to the cake, caramel sauce drizzled over and vanilla ice cream.  Any time this dessert comes up in the menu, I will be there!!!!  And yes, Hal did lick the plate . . . sigh.



So I guess you know what I'm going to say next.  Please continue to support Asuka . . . but when you want something non-Japanese, go to RAIL CITY BISTRO.  You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment