Monday, May 1, 2023

Book Review ~ To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)



Did anyone NOT read To Kill a Mockingbird in school at some point?  This Pulitzer Prize novel has become an American classic.  

My middle grandson, who is not really a lover of reading, struggled to finish Mockingbird for school.  I challenged him and promised if he finished the book we could watch the movie together.  I was so proud when his response to the movie was that "the book was better."  A win for Grandma and Harper Lee!

The story has a slow meandering start as we get to know and understand the Finch family, their neighbours, and friends.  The characters are wonderfully written, especially Scout Finch, a young girl living with her family in Maycomb, Alabama with her older brother Jem and father Atticus during the Depression.  

Atticus is a lawyer, a quiet man, admired by his community until the day he agreed to defend a young black man accused of raping a white woman.  The Finch family struggle with the consequences of this decision.  It is almost past the children's understanding.  Atticus takes a heroic stand for what he believes is right despite the pressures and threats against him and his family.

I don't even know how many times I've read it in my life but it is a story I cherish.  Discover for yourself the meaning of the title.

The only other novel by Harper Lee is Go Set a Watchman (2015).  I have it on my Kobo and read it recently.  I'll review it one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment