Thursday, May 11, 2023

Journal Prompt ~ Animal Entertainment

Today's Writing Prompt: Animal Entertainment

What are your feelings about entertainment events that use animals, such as circuses and rodeos, assuming the animals are legitimately well cared for?



I am not going to even pretend to know what I am talking about here or pretend to be an expert in any way.  I'm just going to say whatever my brain and my heart tells me to and hope you don't think I'm crazy.

I think animals belong in the wild but we have tamed so many for our own use.  Just opening all the gates and setting all the animals free would probably not work out well.  And I'm going to admit here that I love a grilled lamb chop or hamburger as much as the next carnivore.  The only thing that has changed since the beginning of man is that, since we have tamed so many animals, we don't have to worry so much about hunting them.

My opinion regarding zoos and circuses is that they are generally awful . . . I'm not talking all zoos or circuses since I have not seen all zoos and circuses.  I've only been to small zoos and I am generally appalled by the small cages and lack of comfort and shade . . . and grass . . . in their enclosures.  I can't close them down but I can refuse to continue supporting them.  So far, to me, African Lion Safari seems to be doing the best job of homing their animals.  I like the fact that the animals are "free" and we are in the cages (buses, boats, etc.) in most cases.  

I understand elephants and horses and other animals being used as pack animals or for transportation.  I do not understand animals being trained to do stupid tricks.

I think animals that are domesticated should be treated well, housed well, and fed well.  Anything else is despicable and should be cause for the law to step in quickly.

That's all I have to say about that . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment