Thursday, June 22, 2023

Canadian Book Review: Breaking Thru the Fibro Fog



I read Breaking Thru the Fibro Fog by Kevin P. White MD PhD.  Dr. White is a Rheumatologist and Epidemiologist practicing in London ON who has spent many years studying what many people think is the recent phenomena of Fibromyalgia.  Dr. White believes this condition has actually been around for centuries but misdiagnosed and misunderstood.  In fact Dr. White suggests that fibromyalgia may be similar to missing limb syndrome, a problem with the nerves in the body not shutting off when they should.  (okay this is a very very simplified version of what he suggests)

I have lived with this condition for many years . . . many many years . . . and most of that time has been spent learning to deal with it on my own since I've never been able to get a referral to someone like Dr. White or much help from my family physician.  But through research and trial and error I have learned to make the most of my life.  Sometimes this condition can be so frustrating because it is hard to see from the outside . . . except occasionally when someone notices that I can't turn my neck or on really bad days when my dear hubby tells me I'm walking like John Wayne . . . again.  Many people don't really believe fibromyalgia exists; that we are just tired or lazy or exaggerating.  I'd like those people to walk a mile in my shoes.

It was very exciting to read Dr. White's book.  It is nice to know that those of us with fibromyalgia are not crazy, that we aren't lazy, that it isn't all in our heads.  (Personally I'd like for it to be all in my head because then some lovely doctor could just give me a pill to make it go away or at least make me forget about it.)

Dr. White challenges all the nay-sayers by offering scientific proof and common sense to explain this mysterious condition.  In fact he writes in a style that suits a medical book and yet takes the time to explain to those of us without medical degrees in a way we can all understand.

Thank you Dr. White for letting me know its not just in my head.  Once the medical community jumps on board perhaps we will find some treatment that doesn't just deal with the symptoms but can actually cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment