Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Movie Review ~ The Wizard of Oz (1939)




"If you've never seen it -- you've got a rare treat in store!"  (from the official trailer)




Who doesn't love the Wizard of Oz?  And when you think that it was done in 1939, the level of sophistication and technique are amazing.

I remember watching it on TV so many times as a child and I still love it now.  When my children were young we had a VHS tape of the movie and my youngest son had every word of the movie memorized.

The back story of the making of this movie is almost as fascinating as the movie itself.  I have the Official 50th Anniversary Pictorial History of the Wizard of Oz.  I've lost track of how many times I've read it.




I think my favourite part of the movie is when the black and white Kansas scenes suddenly transform to the colour scenes in OZ.


Academy Awards, USA 1940

Won
Oscar
Best Music, Original Song
Harold Arlen (music)
E.Y. Harburg (lyrics)
For the song "Over the Rainbow"
Best Music, Original Score
Herbert Stothart 
Nominated
Oscar
Best Picture
Best Cinematography, Color
Harold Rosson 
Best Art Direction
Cedric Gibbons
William A. Horning 
Best Effects, Special Effects
A. Arnold Gillespie (photographic)
Douglas Shearer (sound) 

No comments:

Post a Comment