Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Movie Review ~ West Side Story 1961

West Side Story (1961)

This movie released the year after I was born.  I wonder how many times I've watched it.  I bet I can, at the very least, hum most of the songs and I'm pretty sure I can remember a lot of the words.

Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story is a musical about two kids from rival gangs who fall in love.  And it doesn't end well.






Academy Awards, USA 1962

Won
Oscar
Best Picture
Robert Wise 
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
George Chakiris 
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Rita Moreno 
Best Director
Robert Wise
Jerome Robbins
For the first time a directing award is being shared.
Best Cinematography, Color
Daniel L. Fapp 
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color
Boris Leven
Victor A. Gangelin 
Best Costume Design, Color
Irene Sharaff 
Best Sound
Fred Hynes (Todd-AO SSD)
Gordon Sawyer (Samuel Goldwyn SSD) 
Best Film Editing
Thomas Stanford 
Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture
Saul Chaplin
Johnny Green
Sid Ramin
Irwin Kostal 
Nominated
Oscar
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium
Ernest Lehman 



No comments:

Post a Comment