Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Movie Review: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

A while back I took a "quiz" on Facebook to determine how many of the top 250 movies of all time I had actually seen. I scored 100 out of the 250 movies that were listed. If I was unsure about seeing a movie I didn't check it off so my score could possibly be much higher.

And then I started thinking that perhaps instead of binge watching old TV series I should binge watch movies. I decided just to take on the top 100 movies for a starter. Now I'm very sure I am going to agree with quite a few of the entries on this list but I already know I'm going to argue about a few as well.

So here is #98 of the top 100 Movies of all time according to IMDB:

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

This movie has actually been remade a couple of times but the 1935 edition is the original, starring Charles Laughton, Clark Gable, and Franchot Tone.  Mutiny on the Bounty won the Oscar for best movie in 1936.




After watching the way the crew are abused for one day too many, Fletcher Christian (Clark Gable) successfully leads a mutiny against the ruthless Captain Bligh (Charles Laughton) on the HMS Bounty. Bligh and his supporters are cast adrift in a small boat in the middle of the ocean. Somehow the castaways manage to survive and are rescued. A year later Bligh captures the mutineers and they face the music for their crimes.

Excellent acting and tons of drama. A great movie to watch.

Top Movies of All Time according to IMDB ~ #17 Goodfellas (1990)

Apparently I love gangster movies.  Of course this another one that was shot back in the day when we didn't have to see all the gory...