Saturday, August 18, 2012

I'm a little too sweet . . .


A few weeks back I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  To say I was shocked is an understatement.  I've been losing weight the past couple of years, slow and steadily.  I was feeling pretty well considering my list of issues (which I won't bore you with).  But anyone can tell you . . . I do have issues . . . sigh.

I was at my regular doctor's appointment and he gave me the news and a prescription.  I was wondering how I couldn't have noticed.  He asked how I'd been feeling lately and I mentioned aches and pains and fatigue more than usual.  And he asked about drinking.  And the light went on.  I have a pink water bottle which has not left my side in months.  I keep it full at all times and if I haven't access to filtered water I have been known to fill it with  . . . shudder . . . tap water.  Aha!!

So I signed up at the Diabetes clinic at the local hospital which offers classes on living with this condition.  The nutritionist and nurse were wonderful and informative and I learned a lot.  But when your whole new lifestyle is explained to you in 6 hours a lot is forgotten.

I am filled with a stern resolve to control my sugars and live a long healthy life.  It hasn't been easy and I'm still not there.  Sometimes I get so frustrated because I'm following all the guidelines . . . I think . . . and my test numbers are still way too high.  Hal and I rewatched the video and reread through all the information in the package I'd been given and realized I actually may have cut back too much on carbohydrates and water.  So, back to the drawing board.  I'm following the menu plan . . . almost . . . to the letter.  There is too much food each meal so sometimes I "save" food for snacks during the day.  Yesterday I didn't have fruit at breakfast and my "number" was pretty close to my target.  Today I ate a small handful of grapes and . . . bam . . . way up again.  But I'm supposed to eat fruit . . . sigh . . . 

I would love to hear from you suggestions, tips, recipes or just words of encouragement.  Hopefully I will get this new lifestyle figured out soon.  I won't give up trying, that's for sure.