Thursday, August 8, 2019

Day 8 of our East Coast Road Trip ~ Halifax to Louisbourg


We checked out of the Stardust and met up with Marc and Andrea to check out the Halifax Waterfront.  We began our morning at Pier 21 and it was very interesting and inspirational.  What a fascinating place! The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is Canada's national museum of immigration. The museum occupies part of Pier 21, the former ocean liner terminal and immigration shed from 1928 to 1971. Pier 21 is Canada's last remaining immigration shed.  





Andrea showed us her home province . . . Newfoundland . . . and please make sure you pronounce it correctly thank you . . . LOL.




 The next two photos were taken from a balcony at Pier 21.




















 It was a quick walk down the road is the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market. Hal really enjoyed all the samples . . . LOL!  There was so much to see as well.



My biggest regret of this trip has been that I couldn't figure out how to eat lobster with only one working hand.  Marc and Andrea were determined to resolve that and took us to the Waterfront Warehouse.  Everyone ate "normal" food except me.  Hal had a cheeseburger (of course) and the "kids" had fish tacos.  I had to try stuff.  My drink was a Dark 'n' Stormy -- Goslings Black Seal Rum, Propeller ginger beer, and a lime wedge.  Very tasty!  My app was Solomon Gundy -- pickled herring, red onion, sour cream, and crackers.  I've never had a herring, pickled or otherwise, and no idea if I was even going to like it.  I ordered it as a joke and challenged everyone to try. No takers . . . so I ate it myself.   It was surprisingly delicious!  I liked it a lot so I cleaned the plate.








My wrist was in a splint so I'd been subsisting of seafood chowder and lobster sandwiches most of the time since I couldn't crack the lobster open myself . . . and none of the restaurants we'd been to would open the lobster for me.  I was so thrilled when our server brought my lobster.  Marc cracked it all open for me.  I tried pulling it apart myself and could only manage the tail.  Andrea is a lobster professional so she did all the finer deconstruction.  I just ate and enjoyed.  Andrea even showed me how to get the meat out of the knuckles.  Deeeelicious!



Unbelievably, we found enough room to fit in fresh, hot delicious Beavertails from a concession near the Warehouse.  I ordered two of the originals.  Hal asked why I bought two and I assured him that within five minutes he was going to wish he had one.  I opened up my Beaver Tail and he smelled the wonderful warm cinnamon aroma . . . and I handed him his very own Beaver Tail.  Delicious!


  

Mid-afternoon we said good bye to our wonderful tour guides and headed on the long drive to Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island.  We are staying at the Fortress Inn.  Not everything in town is open yet as their "season" doesn't open until June 1 but we found everything we needed including subs at the general store across the road for a late supper.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment