Sunday, August 16, 2015

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) ~m

A while back I took a "quiz" on Facebook to determine how many of the top 250 movies of all time. I had actually seen. I scored 100 out of the 250 movies that were listed. If I was unsure about seeing a movie I didn't check it off so my score could possibly be much higher.

And then I started thinking that perhaps instead of binge watching old TV series I should binge watch movies. I decided just to take on the top 100 movies for a starter. Now I'm very sure I am going to agree with quite a few of the entries on this list but I already know I'm going to argue about a few as well.

So here is #21 of the top 100 Movies of all time according to IMDB:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)



This is one of my favourite scenes from the movie.  I had seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest many many many years ago so I decided to give it another go.  I think even more of it now than I originally did.  



Jack Nicholson plays McMurphy, who wrangled a trip from the prison farm to a mental institution for an assesment.  McMurphy was sure he would have an easier time finishing out his sentence at the hospital.  I'm not going to state that McMurphy was or was not mentally ill when he arrived but, because of his rebellious behaviour, he was treated as ill.  The end of the movie was so sad and yet so powerful.  It does not surprise me that this movie won so many awards.

Academy Awards, USA 1976

Won
Oscar
Best Picture
Saul Zaentz
Michael Douglas
'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' became the first film in 41 years to sweep the major categories ... More
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Jack Nicholson 
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Louise Fletcher 
Best Director
Milos Forman 
Best Writing, Screenplay Adapted From Other Material
Lawrence Hauben
Bo Goldman 
Nominated
Oscar
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Brad Dourif 
Best Cinematography
Haskell Wexler
Bill Butler 
Best Film Editing
Richard Chew
Lynzee Klingman
Sheldon Kahn 
Best Music, Original Dramatic Score
Jack Nitzsche 

No comments:

Post a Comment