Thursday, March 7, 2013

Product Review: The Knook


Sometimes new does not always mean better.  I've been reading about the Knook for quite a while.  Some people seemed to absolutely love it but just as many absolutely hated it.  I'm open minded.  I'll try anything once especially if it might be fun or challenging.  So one day while I was in Michaels with a 50% coupon in my clutches, a Knook fell right into my cart.

I finally decided to give it a try tonight.  I followed all the instructions in the booklet which is really well written and has lots of lovely pictures.  I was going to make the infinity scarf in the booklet because I was sure I would be an expert at this in no time at all . . . LOL.

By row three I was so freaking annoyed.  This was not fun, this was not easy.  This was someone's horrid idea to make me miserable.  The stitches do not work up naturally.  The stitches kept shrinking on the cord so that you had to struggle to put the hook through.  It was just garter stitch done the hard way.

Before I gave up I decided to check out the online video in case there was just the slightest chance I wasn't holding the hook correctly or something.  On the video you can actually see the woman struggling to put the hook through the constantly shrinking stitches.  So vindication . . .

I didn't finish the third row and the Knook is going in the next yard sale.  Thank goodness I only paid half price.  Maybe a Knook lover will give it a good home.

6 comments:

  1. I watched the video...what a terrible invention! If I want to crochet, I'll crochet. If I want to knit (doubtful), I'll knit. I'm a fairly speedy crocheter, but that knooky invention would frustrate me no end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, I've been eye-ing a couple of the pattern books, but now I won't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO, the knook is for people who crochet but don't want to learn how to knit. I do both. Therefore, if I want a knitted look, I'll knit it. I got a K-tel knitter (remember those?) on ebay once. Never did learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one as well and thank goodness I didn't pay for mine (except for $2 shipping that is). Tried it several times, it gets easier but it's still not something I want to do constantly. If I want to do a garter stitch, I'll pick up a couple knitting needles and go to town. I knit about as fast as I do the stitches with the Knook - so no loss of time there. LOL Oh and my Knook? It's sitting in the bottom of one of my craft bags....probably destined for a yard sale as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess, I didn't try the Knook but I watch a video and tried it out using a tunisian hook with a screw in cord. It was really easy to unscrew the cord at the end of the row and turn it around. That, actually, was the easiest part of the whole experience. I am so glad I didn't waste my hard earned cash on a Knook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It did sound intriguing. And I bought one with a coupon very early on. And I really tried hard. But there is just something very unnatural about it. I knit a little. I crochet a lot. I knook not at all. In fact, I am not even sure where the kit is now - but it will one day find a happy home. With someone who can appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete