Sunday, April 26, 2020

Movie Review: Bubba Ho-Tep (2003)


From Leonard Maltin's 151 Best Movies You've Never Seen . . . let me present to you the thrilling  Bubba Ho-Tep . . .

I'm usually not interested in monsters back from the dead kind of movies but Maltin hasn't steered me wrong yet so I decided to give it a try.

OMG . . . this movie is awful.  The story is that Elvis Presley wanted out of the music business so he found an impersonator to take over his life and he took over the impersonators life.  One night he falls off the stage at a Elvis-look-alike show and breaks his hip, ending up in a coma and waking up in the Shady Rest Nursing Home where he befriends JFK who is now black.  They took out part of JFKs brain and dyed his skin so he wouldn't remember that he was who he was and no one would be able to recognize him.  But the sand must have shifted because he remembers now.

Okay stop laughing.  It gets worse.  A mummy with a curse is stolen from an exhibit and lost by the mummy-nappers in an accident.  The mummy wants to live so he has to steal souls.  Where better to steal souls than a nursing home where a few dead residents will hardly be noticed?  The problem with stealing old souls is that they are kind of weak so the mummy has to steal lots of souls.

Are you still with me so far?  So Elvis and Kennedy gird for battle with a walker and an electric wheelchair to take out the evil cursed soul-sucking mummy.



I think I have to go watch it again . . . If you are a fan of B movies or movies of the soul-sucking mummy variety you should really check this movie out.  If you don't have a warped sense of humour, I would just skip it all together.

1 comment:

  1. tapeheads@rogers.comAugust 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

    I love this movie!! I thought it was very sweet. And coincidentally, I will be hanging out with the director next week when he's here with his new movie at TIFF. He and my husband are good friends.

    ReplyDelete