Sunday, June 7, 2020

Movie Review: Yankee Doodle Dandy



Released in 1942, it is pretty clear that this film was an important propaganda piece for the United States.  But it is also a great song and dance movie with a little romance thrown in as well.  
Star of the show, James Cagney, plays George M. Cohan, a famous composer, playwright, actor and song and dance man.  It is definitely interesting to watch James Cagney play this part when he is usually a "bad guy."  I am pretty sure I've watched this movie a few times in the past and I truly did enjoy watching it again.  

As I was watching the credits at the end of the movie I saw the name Jeanne Cagney who played Josie Cohan, George Cohan's sister.  A quick google proved that Jeanne is indeed James Cagney's sister in real life.

Yankee Doodle Dandy wan nominated for 8 Oscars and Won 3 . . . for leading actor, music and sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment