Wednesday, March 15, 2023

CBC's 100 Best Canadian Novels ~ The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Image result for handmaid's tale book

I cannot believe I have never written about The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood before.  I am a huge Atwood fan and I've read the book several times.  

It is the story of a dystopian future where governments have become theocracies and women have no rights.  The centre of the story is Offred who is forced to be a reproductive surrogate to a powerful commander and his wife.  Offred remembers the time before the theocracy when she had a husband, a daughter, a job, a life . . . and dreams of escape.

There is now a television series but I only watched a few episodes before I became bored.  (Of course the same thing happened when I tried to watch the television version of Alias Grace.)  I may try to watch it again some day . . . but not yet.  

Image result for handmaid's tale television series

There is also a The Handmaid's Tale movie.  It was okay.  Not sure I would ever watch it again.

Image result for handmaid's tale movie

I am sure I will be reading the book again soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment