Thursday, August 13, 2020

Goodreads 2020 #4 ~ Animal Farm by George Orwell

Image result for Animal Farm


I don't know how many times I have read Animal Farm in my life.  Let's just say a few.  The story has always stayed with me.  I understand there are movie and cartoon adaptions that I vaguely recall but they don't have the power of the original book.

George Orwell write about a farm run by the drunken Mr. Jones which is untended and conditions are harsh.  The animals join together and overthrow Jones and create an equal society for the animals and the farm becomes a wonderful place to live.  Well, except for the fact that it does not take long before the pigs begin taking over and recreate the conditions of the original farm.

The most loved character in the book, at least for me, was Boxer the old workhouse who continued to believe in the dream and work for the dream even as he was being taken away, sold to the slaughterhouse by the pigs.

This novel is meant to illustrate the rise of Russian revolution and the rise of Stalinism.  It is not a relaxing beach read.  It is a book worth reading though.

No comments:

Post a Comment