Thursday, July 18, 2019

Let's Travel Canada ~ Halifax NS

On our recent trip to the east coast we spent 2 days in Halifax NS.  After checking into our motel we headed to our nephew's home for a great visit.  Marc is a cook in the Navy and he and his wife, Andrea, made an amazing barbecue supper for us.  After supper we went on for a drive around Halifax.  Hal was so happy to stop at the Alexander Keith Brewery where we all enjoyed a pint in the pub.







We cruised along the water and stopped for this sunset at Bedford Basin . . . 


. . . and the Africville Museum.  I wish it had been open.


The next day we met back up and went to Pier 21.  What a fascinating place! The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is Canada's national museum of immigration. The museum occupies part of Pier 21, the former ocean liner terminal and immigration shed from 1928 to 1971. Pier 21 is Canada's last remaining ocean immigration shed.


Andrea shows us her home province . . . Newfoundland . . . and please make sure you pronounce it correctly thank you . . . LOL.




The next two photos were taken from a balcony at Pier 21.






A quick walk down the road is the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market.  Lots to see here as well.


Lunch was at the Waterfront Warehouse Restaurant and it was amazing.  I finally got my lobster dinner I'd been pining for because Marc and Andrea cracked it all open for me.  My wrist was in a splint so I'd been subsisting of seafood chowder and lobster sandwiches most of the time.

Image result for warehouse restaurant halifax


I started my lunch with a Dark & Stormy (mostly made of dark gingerbeer and dark rum) and a plate of Solomon Gundy (pickled herring and onions served with crackers and sour cream).  I sort of bought it as a joke and challenged everyone to try it.  

No takers . . . so I ate it myself.  I liked it a lot so I cleaned the plate.




Finally after so many days without a single lobster, it arrived.  And it was delicious.


Dessert was Beaver Tails from a nearby concession.  I ordered two of the originals.  Hal asked why I bought two and I assured him that within five minutes he was going to wish he had one.  I opened up my Beaver Tail and he smelled the wonderful warm cinnamon smell . . . and I handed him his very own Beaver Tail.



After we thanked our hosts for our wonderful visit, we headed back out on the road . . . for Cape Breton Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment