Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Book Review ~ The books in your to-read pile . . .


My niece and I were shopping and running errands in London ON this past week and wandered into the Indigo book store.  The store was having a buy 3 get one free sale.  So I now have some REAL books added to my to-read list.  

First purchase was The Nectar of Pain by Najwa Zebian.  I have heard Ms Zebian speak and read her first book Mind Platter.  Her poetry is poignant and uplifting and haunting . . . and I could go on.  I am looking forward to reading Nectar of Pain.

My second selection was Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari.  I have listened to many of Professor Harari's online lectures, taken a MOOC through Coursera, and listened to his podcast discussing fascism and nationalism.  He is charming and eloquent and his lectures are actually fun.  I've already read Sapiens:  A Brief History of Humankind, a big thick book, even in paperback, which is so interesting to read that you wish it was longer.  I can't wait to crack open this new book.

I spotted We Were Feminists Once by Andi Zeisler on the $10 table.  I love the clearance tables.  The subtitle intrigued me.  "From Riot Grrrl to Covergirl, the Buying and Selling of a Political Movement."

I was having trouble thinking of a fourth book I might want and nothing else on the clearance tables was calling out to me.  I headed to the checkout and that's where I spotted the greatest deal of all -- 5 Canadian novels for $20.  The original price was around $95.  Jackpot!  The side of the package says "The World Needs More Canada:  Celebrating 150 years."  It contained Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, The Orenda by Joseph Boyden, Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro, The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King, and Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler.  I've read the first three before but I am really looking forward to reading them again.

When I went to pay for my purchases (2 full price, 1 free because of the sale, 1 on clearance) I found a forgotten gift card in my wallet.  Perfect!

Also in the photo is Outliers:  The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell.  My son just read it and thinks I will like it.  I've read the back cover and it does sound very interesting.

I have not included all the ebooks waiting for me on my Kobo because the list is way too long.  

So, what books are in your to-read pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment