Saturday, September 9, 2017

2017 Craft Space Organization Challenge Take 2 ~ Challenge #6

Just to complicate (or perhaps simplify in the long run) my organization plans for my studio, I bought a gorgeous wall unit at auction which lead to me completely changing the whole room, getting rid of now excess storage bins and shelves and generally decluttering the whole space.

Once my "new" studio was basically set up, I got back to work on organizing my stash.


Challenge #5 is done.  All my die cuts, stickers and alphabets have been sorted and the containers labelled.  I only filled one wastebasket with "stuff" I knew I would never actually use.
That surprised me.  I thought I didn't have any superfluous products.
And now I'm ready for Challenge #6.


This week's challenge is to organize all those ribbons and fibres.  There is no "right" way to store your ribbons and fibre.  The most important factor is that the system works for YOU.  First, let's make some S.P.A.C.E.

SORT: Gather together all of your ribbons and fiber, and sort them into piles: KEEP, TOSS, SELL, DONATE.

PURGE: Throw out the TOSS pile.  Immediately make arrangements for pick-up or drop-off of the DONATE pile.  Bag up, and assign a price and your initials to the SELL pile, and immediately put these in your garage sale box.

ASSIGN: Sort your KEEP pile into types/colours of fibre and ribbon.  If your ribbons are in a big wrinkled mess, take time now to give everything a pressing (careful with the heat, some synthetics may melt!).

CONTAINERIZE: Consider the space that you have, and the way that you work. Here are some ideas that work for both ribbons and fibres:

1) on those little cardboard bobbins meant for embroidery floss
2) organized by colour in big clear glass jars on a shelf
3) wound and paper clipped and stored with their coordinating embellishments
4) Cropper Hopper mini embellishment boxes and sorted by colour
5) in small ziploc bags stored in a photo box, or on a big ring
6) in sports cards organizer pages, sorted by colour and in a binder
7) wound on index cards and stored in a photo box
8) loosely tied on a big ring

EQUALIZE: take a few minutes at the end of each scrapping session, when you return from a crop, or return from a shopping trip to put your ribbons and fibres away where they belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment