Friday, April 21, 2023

Journal Prompt ~ What is your favourite quote? Why?

What is your favourite quote? Why?

Bubba - Forrest Gump -Cinema Studies

I'm gonna lean up against you, you just lean right back against me. This way, we don't have to sleep with our heads in the mud. ~ Bubba Blue

I was looking for a photo of Bubba to include with this post and tripped over this article.  I think it explains why I love this quote so much.

#211 Keep Your Head Out of the Mud

In my opinion, one of the best quotes in Forrest Gump is when Forrest and Bubba are on patrol in the middle of Vietnam in the pouring rain.

Bubba says to Forrest, “I'm gonna lean up against you, you just lean right back against me. This way we don't have to sleep with our heads in the mud. You know why we're a good partnership, Forrest? 'Cause we be watching out for one another, like brothers and stuff.”

This is what everyone needs, someone to lean on so you don’t end up with your head in the mud. It is especially important for the parents of children with special needs to have someone to lean upon. If you are married, it is probably your spouse. If you are a single parent, you need a best friend, or a congregation of best friends. You need someone to keep you upright from day to day.

On the other hand, you have a responsibility to keep someone else from “sleeping in the mud.” As I think back on the movie Forrest Gump, I remember Forrest’s poor social skills, his awkward attempts at making conversation, and how he interpreted everything literally. However, he was a fantastic friend, always ready to help, and showed genuine compassion and interest in everyone he met. That is why Bubba thought of him as a brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment