Thursday, August 3, 2023

Book Review: The Refugee: Narratives of Fugitive Slaves in Canada



This is going to be a very short review.  I picked up The Refugee:  Narratives of Fugitive Slaves in Canada by Benjamin Drew at Chapters a while ago.  I love history books, especially when there is a local connection.  I tried to read this book but, instead of sweeping me into the past with tales of hardship and salvation won, it was a repetitive and very obviously edited litany of slavery is bad and Canada is good.  On this concept, I think we are all in agreement.  This book was an editorial of why Canada is good and the United States is bad.  Perhaps the book would have improved if I had continued reading but I just couldn't force myself to carry on.  That's all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment