Monday, July 18, 2011

Stir-fried Okra

I picked up some okra at the Horton Market on the weekend.  I've never tried okra before so I was curious.  I found a stir-fried okra recipe on about.com and decided to give it a try.

Here is the original recipe:

2 cups fresh okra, washed, trimmed, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, peeled and sliced into 8 thin wedges
1/4 cup green onions, sliced, white and green
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon leaf thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
Prepare all vegetables as indicated and have ready for cooking. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Heat oil and butter in a wok or large skillet. Add vegetables and seasoning mixture all at once. Toss and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Serves 4

Now here is what I did:

I prepared the okra as directed.  I didn't peel the tomato.  I used diced red onion.  I have all kinds of herbs and spices but couldn't find thyme anywhere.  I have a funny feeling if I go back and look now it will be in the front row of my spice shelf . . . LOL . . . I added a handful of shitake mushrooms and a sliced red pepper to the pan as well.  The shitake mushrooms were an excellent idea.  The red pepper (which I love) ended up on the side of the plate because they made the dish too sweet.  I served the stir fry with low-sodium soy sauce and rice noodles and really enjoyed it (minus the peppers).

I will definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment