Monday, January 24, 2011

Hewson Family gossip . . .

Okay, so I don't have all the facts yet but I am having fun finding them.  It seems my great-great grandmother was charged with bigamy in 1915.  Hal and I searched through the microfilms at the local library and found several articles in local papers during the spring of 1915.  Don't worry, she was found not guilty . . . LOL . . .

It seems she was still married to my great-great grandfather when she married husband #2.  A couple years later she married husband #3.  Husband #3 is the person who had her charged.  She was released on $1000 bail.

According to the court because Husband #1 (my ggg) was still alive when she married Husband #2, Marriage #2 was null and void.  Because Husband #1 was no longer living and Marriage #2 wasn't legal, therefore she was not commiting bigamy with Husband #3 . . . and that's all she wrote.

This story brings up so many unanswered questions and we are looking forward to digging into more family stories in our quest for our family tree.

1 comment:

  1. Scandal indeed!! And I shall add to that for you (hehe). She had an 'illegitimate' and 'not named' male child in April 1887, then married husband #1 in October 1887, and then had their(?) first child in March 1888. If we do the math here - there is much more gossip! I strongly suspect husband #1 also went on to commit bigamy! I think this family digging has created an interesting family tree for us :)

    ReplyDelete