Saturday, July 10, 2010

Don't Letterbox in HOT weather . . .

Thursday was another brutally hot day but I was tired of being cooped up, first in our room at the school and now back home, so when Hal bribed me with the chance of some letterboxing if I would act as navigator while he dropped off resumes, I agreed.

The job hunting went fairly well.  It is amazing how many nice people are out there, with encouragement and good advice.  We are really hopefully that Hal will find a position soon because up to now we've had no problem lining up casual jobs to keep us afloat.  The casual jobs are starting to dry up and its making things a little tough and a little scary.  But we will press forward.

The last stops were at Schneiders and Mackinnons in Guelph . . . an Ontario letterboxing mecca . . .

First find was Deer Crossing.  I always have my camera close at hand . . . ALWAYS . . . except today . . . grrrrrrrrr . . . and two deer came right to the edge of the wooded area to have a visit with us.  We talked to them and the really seemed to be listening.  It was awesome . . . and no camera . . .

Just a little further up the path we found Rudolph's Letterbox.

Both stamps were simply adorable.  But the heat and humidity were awful and just sapping all the strength out of me; making it hard to breath.  I barely made the short hike back to the van.  A few minutes in the van with the a/c on full blast and I was fine again.  Thursday was just a crazy hot day.

Hal and I agreed it would be crazy to try and continue, so we headed for the 401 and home.

Do you remember the story of Cailyn and I in the woods in the dark using the flashes of our cameras to try and find 401 Westbound - Cambridge:  Dawn of the Commute?  Well we just couldn't drive by the location without trying again.  And of course with daylight it was a fairly easy find . . . LOL . . .