Saturday, July 10, 2010

Don't Letterbox in HOT weather . . .

Thursday was another brutally hot day but I was tired of being cooped up, first in our room at the school and now back home, so when Hal bribed me with the chance of some letterboxing if I would act as navigator while he dropped off resumes, I agreed.

The job hunting went fairly well.  It is amazing how many nice people are out there, with encouragement and good advice.  We are really hopefully that Hal will find a position soon because up to now we've had no problem lining up casual jobs to keep us afloat.  The casual jobs are starting to dry up and its making things a little tough and a little scary.  But we will press forward.

The last stops were at Schneiders and Mackinnons in Guelph . . . an Ontario letterboxing mecca . . .

First find was Deer Crossing.  I always have my camera close at hand . . . ALWAYS . . . except today . . . grrrrrrrrr . . . and two deer came right to the edge of the wooded area to have a visit with us.  We talked to them and the really seemed to be listening.  It was awesome . . . and no camera . . .

Just a little further up the path we found Rudolph's Letterbox.

Both stamps were simply adorable.  But the heat and humidity were awful and just sapping all the strength out of me; making it hard to breath.  I barely made the short hike back to the van.  A few minutes in the van with the a/c on full blast and I was fine again.  Thursday was just a crazy hot day.

Hal and I agreed it would be crazy to try and continue, so we headed for the 401 and home.

Do you remember the story of Cailyn and I in the woods in the dark using the flashes of our cameras to try and find 401 Westbound - Cambridge:  Dawn of the Commute?  Well we just couldn't drive by the location without trying again.  And of course with daylight it was a fairly easy find . . . LOL . . .

2 comments:

  1. I can relate. I am new to letterboxing and haven't tried to plant or find yet because of the weather. Here in southeast Alabama during the month of June we had 27 days of 95 degrees and over. This morning our low was 73.2. Will have to wait for cooler weather before trying to find any letterboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to read that you actually met deer at Deer Crossing. I see them about every 5th visit to the area. I hope you manage to get out today for some letterboxing - the weather is great 26C. :) -- Lone R

    ReplyDelete