Thursday, February 4, 2010

True Comfort Food . . . Steak and Onion Pie ~r

This month I have decided to test some older recipes and suggest some ways to update them, especially less sugar, salt and fats.

I have chosen Encyclopedia of Cooking by Mary Margaret McBride (1958).

I am posting a recipe for Steak and Onion Pie exactly as it is written in the cookbook and then adding my own comments in red.

The result (using my changes) was delicious and I would definitely consider this casserole as "comfort food" of the highest order. I served the pie with cabbage salad. Hal and I both had more than one serving . . . LOL . . . but there is still enough left for lunch with a salad or veggie.

Steak and Onion Pie

1 pound round steak, cubed
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt (I thought this was a crazy amount of salt - substituted 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
dash of ginger (I was shocked to find I had no ginger or allspice - substituted with Herbes de Provence - which I really love)
dash of allspice (see note on ginger)
1/4 cup fat (how about just drizzling a little olive oil in the bottom of the skillet intead?? That's what I did)
1 cup sliced onions
2 1/2 cups hot water
2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 recipe plain pastry

Roll meat in mixture of flour, salt, pepper, paprika, ginger, and allspice. Brown in hot fat.
Add onions and celery and cook until light yellow. Add water. (I added the potatoes at this point) Cover and simmer until meat is tender.
Add potatoes; turn into greased shallow casserole. (I didn't grease the casserole and it didn't seem to cause any problem)
Cover with plain pastry. Brush with slightly beaten egg. (I didn't brush the pastry with anything)
Bake in very hot oven (450F) until pastry is nicely browned, about 25 minutes. Serves 6.

Plain Pastry For 1-Crust Pie

1 cup sifted enriched flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2-3 tablespoons ice water

Step 1: Mix and sift flour and salt.
Step 2: Cut in shortening with a pastry blender.
Step 3: Sprinkle with cold water. Gather dough together and press firmly into a ball.
Step 4: Roll out into a circle 1 inch larger than pan, all around.
Step 5: Fit loosely into pan. Avoid stretching to prevent shrinkage.



Le dîner est servi . . .

1 comment: