Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Meatballs and Sauce

Remember the good ol' days when ground meat was cheap??

From the "Ground Beef Mini-Session" from Frozen Assets Lite and Easy by Deborah Taylor-Hough: 

Image result for meatballs and sauce

Meatballs and Sauce
Serves 6

1 cup dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup skim milk
2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1-1/2 cup grated zucchini
3/4 cup apple juice (or white wine)
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp oregano
32-0z. canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup water.

Mix bread crumbs and milk. Let stand 5 minutes. Add beef, zucchini, 2 tbsp apple juice, cheese, tomato paste and 1 tsp oregano. Mix well. Form into 36 equal meatballs. Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Add meatballs, cook over medium-high heat, turning as needed, until browned on all sides (about 10 minutes). Remove meatballs from skillet; set aside. In same skillet, cook remaining apple juice over medium-high heat, scraping brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add tomatoes, remaining oregano and water. Reduce heat to low; add meatballs. Simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.

Per serving: 270.8 calories; 11.5 g fat; 15.8 g protein; 26.8 g carbohydrates; 40 mg cholesterol

Delicious!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get that cookbook? It sounds like my kind of thing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I told Pam D. I was hoping to pack lots of freezer meals for Hal while he was at school, she loaned me this book. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do that, too. Not for Hal so much, but for Chloe and Geoff and me :) Maybe I'll see if I can pick up the book.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete